January 26, 2009

A Day to Remember . .

This past weekend has given me much time to think about family and how important we are to eachother. Dale and I attended the temple on Friday night. We have not been for such a long time. Of course all throughout the day I tried to talk myself out of going -- it is too long, I don't want to have to get a babysitter, blah, blah, blah. Dale and I pushed ourselves and made it there. What a good feeling it was to be there and to be reminded that I need to be there more often. I then had the opportunity on Saturday night to attend the adult session of stake conference. Elder Robert D. Hales attended our conference and spoke Saturday evening. He too reminded us all to be more vigilant in attending temple and sharing the blessings with our families.

On Sunday, Dale and I decided we just didn't want to fight the crowds and attend the Sunday session of Stake Conference. So, we just kicked back at home and enjoyed the time to be lazy for a minute. Rett woke up really early that day and wanted me to lay with him to watch TV. He fell asleep in my lap at 11:00 and I then took him upstairs for his early nap. At noon, Rett came down the stairs and was happy to be awake. Sid went and picked him up and at the moment he arched his back and went into a seizure. As our family experienced this moment together, I kept thinking "this can't be the time for him to go - I have not had enough time with him." I know at that moment, although prayers were not said out loud, all four of us were praying for Rett to be okay. Rett is okay today and the pediatrician believes he spiked a fever while sleeping, his temp went too high - too fast, causing a seizure. I am so thankful for family and friends who are all supporting and praying for us. I can't help but think of Amy and the trial she goes through daily with little Dawson. My moment yesterday seems small compared to her daily routines. It is moments like these that I realize life is short, our time here is brief and I can't let "life" get in the way of my family.

So far, so good today . . . let's hope we don't have to experience anything like that again!

7 comments:

[Morgan] said...

oh wow. jana, i'm so sorry. i can't imagine. i'm totally sitting here in tears. this just happened to a friend of ours and their little boy for the same reason. the doctor said it's actually not uncommon if a fever gets too high. but an incredibly scary thing to experience.
i'm glad he's doing better today and i appreciated your thoughts of "life" you are so right.

Jess said...

i'm so sorry jana. know that our thoughts and prayers are with little rett and all of you. we love you

Kennen said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It's scary to watch your child suffer. You are right, life is short and we need to slow down and enjoy our families.

Kyle and Serene Hardy said...

It gives me the chills everytime I think about it. I am glad that it isn't too serious. Just remember that the Gierisch Family is blessed and very loved!

Tia said...

How scary! Has he ever had a seizure before, or was this a first-time thing? (and hopefully last time!)

kelsey and murray said...

Wow- I had no idea that this happened! I am SO sorry, and I hope that little Rett is doing ok. If there is anything we can do let us know!

Hardy Party said...

Jana,

George and I heard about Rett and our hearts just sank. We are so glad he is doing better and we hope there are never any more seizures. We love you all and wish we got to see more of you...

George and Sondi